Become a Master Gardener. We would love to have you join us! Successful applicants have a strong volunteer ethic and experience in community service. Your volunteer experience need not be in the area of horticulture. Classes are held at the Center for Urban Horticulture (CUH) on the University of Washington campus. Check the website for details.
WSU Master Gardener Program. This program is dedicated to facilitating excellence in volunteers through education, life-long learning, and professionalism of coordinators and volunteers.
Visit the King County Master Gardener gardens: demonstration, youth, outreach and community gardens. To find a garden near you, consult the Map to King County Clinics & Gardens.
Demonstration Gardens. See firsthand the types of plants that grow well in our area, and learn recommended planting practices and overall garden care.
Public Gardens, Arboreta, and Herbaria. (Miller Library)
Need help with your garden question? Answers are as close as your computer. Ask a Master Gardener.
King County Master Gardeners work as volunteer community educators at clinics in the area to empower citizens to incorporate sustainable horticultural practices that help to conserve our natural resources. To find a clinic near you, consult the Map to King County Clinics & Gardens. The most current schedule that shows clinics, locations and hours of operation. Here is the 2017 Clinics Schedule.
Gardening Fact Sheets and Handbooks for PNW Gardening
- WSU Ext Gardening Websites – a list of websites that offer general gardening information for home gardeners in Western Washington.
- WSU Ext Gardening Publications – a list of publications of interest to home gardeners in Western Washington.
- WSU Hortsense. A compilation of fact sheets for managing common landscape and garden plant problems.
- WSU Pestsense. A compilation of fact sheets for managing common indoor pest problems.
- WSU Gardening Fact Sheets – Fact Sheets by topic for gardening in Washington State.
- OSU Gardening Fact Sheets – Fact Sheets compiled by the OSU Plant Clinic that has been operational since 1954 and part of the National Plant Diagnostic Network (NPDN).
- Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks. These handbooks and online access to information provided by Central Oregon Agricultural Research Center provide a ready-reference to current information about weeds and insects.
- Magnuson Children’s Garden. Find a wide variety of family-friendly events throughout the spring and summer!
- Teacher Resources. Find handouts for use with classes, including the WSU MG Teaching Kits – it’s “environmental education in a box” for all ages, not just kids.
There are several newsletters provided for the benefit of King County Master Gardeners. The public may find some of the articles of interest. Issues include Heads Up, published by the King County Diagnostic Lab, and The Connection, published by the MG Foundation of King County.
- Newsletters from around Washington and Beyond
- King County, WA: The Foundation Connection newsletter, the Diagnostics Lab’s Heads Up newsletter, and past issues of other newsletters.
- Skagit Valley Herald ‘Ask the MG’ Articles from 2001
- Snohomish County, WA
- Weeders Digest – Whatcom County’s Newsletter
- Northwest Gardener e-News – OSU newsletter
- Seeds for Thought – Quarterly Newsletter for WA State Foundation
- Northwest Gardeners e-news. OSU monthly newsletter
- Cochise County, AZ
Pacific Northwest Blogs
- WSU Gardening Blog. Find out what’s new from the experts, such as Organic Soil Amendments in Yards and Gardens: How much is enough?
- North Coast Garden – Humboldt County blo
- The Savvy Gardener – from the Water Saving Partnership
- Garden Design Online – Gardening and landscape design with attitude
- Heavy Petal – Garden writer Andrea Bellamy blogs about gardening in Vancouver, B
- A Gardener in Progress – Gardening in the Pacific Northwest
- Metro Gardens – Plants, parks, gardens and landscape design (Coleman Park / Seattle)
- Gardening by Trial and Error
Gardens, Clubs, and Societies
- Healing Gardens
- Community Gardens
- Botanical Gardens
- Association Sites
- Garden Clubs
- Plant Societies
- Missouri Botanical Garden
- New York Botanical Garden
- Norfork Botanical Garden
- Hosta List – Containing over 10,000 entries, this is the most complete and accurate collection of hosta list available. Hosta names are faithfully and carefully checked for accuracy against the AHS Hosta Registry and The Hostapedia: An Encyclopedia of Hostas(Mark R. Zilis, 2009).
PNW Vegetable Extension Group. Assist with diagnoses of vegetable diseases, pests, and other problems, publishing new information about vegetable pathogens, pests and other problems; and their biology and management.
- Plant Finder. Want to know who sells that plant you saw?
- Find a Nursery. National directory of nurseries.
- Native Seeds Sources. Looking for Native Seeds
- Garden Catalogs – So many catalogs so little time
- Best of the Web – Gardening – Website with “Best of” links provided by gardener. Many useful sites.